Roasted Chickpea Salad
Monday, October 8, 2012
OK, admittedly I don’t always eat healthy (I adhere pretty closely to an 80/20 approach to eating…80% of the food I eat is healthy and good for me while the other 20% is reserved for treats). One of my recent ‘treats’ was a basket of Indian spiced fried chickpeas at one of my favorite local brew pubs. And they were delicious! Who knew that chickpeas could get so crispy and crunchy? (a quick dip in a vat of bubbling hot oil will do that to just about any food). Paul and I had just come from a long hike in 106-degree heat, and the chickpeas were the perfect reward for our outdoor adventure (as was the pint of beer).
Those fried chickpeas are the inspiration behind this decidedly more healthy take on ‘fried’ chickpeas. Instead of deep frying, I roasted them in the oven until they are golden and crisp. They are a great main feature in this simple and tasty salad.
Roasted Chickpea Salad www.kindred-kitchen.com Roasted Chickpea Salad www.kindred-kitchen.com
© 2012 Nancy Granada / Kindred Kitchen
Roasted Chickpea Salad
servings: 4 as a main course / 6-8 as a side dish | time: about 40 minutes
1 pint organic cherry tomatoes
Pinch each sugar and salt
6 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
2 cans chickpeas, drained
1.5 TBSP. Herbs de Provence
Grated zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp. champagne vinegar
1 shallot, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 small orange or red pepper, diced
2 cups baby arugula, coarsely chopped
directions:Roast the tomatoes:1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside2. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half place in a bowl. Drizzle with 1 TBSP. of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch each of sugar and salt3. Arrange on prepared baking sheet, cut side up4. Bake in 425 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until they caramelize5. Remove from oven and slip the parchment off to a cooling rackRoast chickpeas:1. Line the baking sheet with parchment2. Drain the chickpeas and dry in a kitchen towel or paper towels (it’s important that the chickpeas are very dry so that they get a bit crisp in the oven). Place them in a large bowl3. In a separate bowl, combine 2 TBSP. olive oil, herbs de Provence, grated lemon zest and a pinch of salt and whisk to combine4. Pour over the chickpeas and toss to coat5. Spread in a single layer in prepared baking sheet6. Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes, tossing about half way through. Set aside to coolMeanwhile, make the vinaigrette:1. In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, vinegar, shallot, freshly ground black pepper (about 3-4 grinds) and 2-3 TBSP. olive oil. Whisk to combine and set asideOnce the roasted chickpeas and tomatoes have cooled, add them to a large bowl. Add all of the other ingredients, including the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve as a main course with a salad and some crusty bread or as a side dish.